5 Important Things to Know About Getting a Work Visa in the U.S.


There are a variety of different immigration visas with numerous requirements, which can make it difficult for you to get a work visa in the U.S. Fortunately, the immigration experts at Visa Express are available to assist you. Here are 5 important things you need to know about the U.S. work visa process.


1. You will need to gain sponsorship from a U.S. employer.

In most cases, you cannot start the U.S. work visa process without sponsorship from a U.S. employer. To get an H-1B, L, or O visa, you must already have a valid offer for a position from a company located in the United States. You can search online to find open positions with employers that will sponsor your work visa application.

There are a couple of U.S. work visas that allow you to apply without sponsorship from a U.S. employer. For example, you do not need sponsorship if you’re applying for an E-2 investor visa or an EB-5 investor green card. However, it’s important to understand that these work visas require you to have a detailed business plan and a large amount of money to invest.

2. A majority of U.S. work visas are for high-skilled workers.

Most U.S. work visas are meant for educated workers with specialized skills and knowledge. You are a good candidate for a U.S. work visa if you are in a field such as technology, science, or engineering. If you are not a highly skilled worker, it may be more difficult for you to get a long-term work visa in the United States. H-2A and H-2B visas are generally given to lower skilled seasonal or temporary workers, but these visas can’t give you the security of long-term employment.

3. Employers must interview U.S. citizens before hiring you.

U.S. employers must give U.S. citizens and permanent residents the opportunity to apply for open positions before sponsoring a work visa application. If the employer finds an equally qualified candidate in the United States, the position will be given to that applicant. If friends or family members want to hire you in the United States, they will have to show the U.S. government that you have specialized skills and knowledge that no one else can provide.

4. Consider an F-1 or J-1 visa.

If you don’t currently meet the requirements for a long-term work visa, consider attending college in the United States to gain specialized knowledge and skills. If you would like to go to college in the United States, you can apply for an F-1 student visa. In some cases, it can be difficult to get this type of visa, but if you’re successful, it can help you obtain a U.S. work visa in the future. The first step in the process is gaining admission to a university located in the United States.

You may also want to participate in one of the excellent exchange programs organized by the U.S. State Department. There are several outstanding programs for academics, athletes, government leaders, teachers, writers, and young professionals. If you are interested in applying, visit the U.S. Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

5. Hire a U.S. immigration attorney.

If you are planning to apply for a U.S. work visa, you can benefit from hiring a reputable U.S. immigration attorney to handle your case. Getting a U.S. work visa is a complicated process. An experienced U.S. immigration lawyer can prepare a professional work visa application that will increase your chances of success. If you’re ready to get started, contact the experts at Visa Express today.

Latest News


Choosing the Best...

As a U.S. citizen, you can...
h2b (1)

H2B Program Under...

The H-2B program, in its current...

How to Obtain...

You are an American citizen and...